Cycling with your dogs
How to ride a bike with your dog?
To familiarize your dog with this “unknown object”, do not get on the bike right away. Walk next to your bike during the first exercises with your companion.
Before the first bike ride with your dog, first, have him sit and wait until you tell him to walk. Keep your companion on a short leash with the bike positioned between the two of you.
Some rules for cycling with your dog:
- Always let your dog walk in the opposite direction of traffic.
- Never attach the leash to the handlebars when cycling with your dog.
- When pushing the bike, keep the leash floating. This should never be strained.
- Change direction from time to time and change your pace. Let your dog sit up as soon as you stop. If all goes well, move on to the next exercise.
Start cycling with your dog
You can now sit on your bike and start pedaling slowly. For the first outings, try to find secluded paths with very little traffic. Train your dog to take easy turns and avoid obstacles. It is only when you are certain that your companion is perfectly obeying your orders that you will be able to cycle on the cycle path. Gradually increase the pace and duration of the course.
- Accompanying their master on a bicycle is strongly discouraged for young dogs under 12 months of age, sick dogs, and elderly dogs.
- Never feed your dog directly before the bike ride.
- Dog running beside or behind the bike is very taxing for the dog. Avoid walks in hot, heavy weather.
- Take regular breaks to allow your dog to recover. Always take water with you to rehydrate your pet.
- Avoid walking long distances on tar: hard surfaces are taxing on your dog’s paws.
- Exhaust gases are harmful to your health and that of your animal: therefore avoid walking along heavily trafficked roads and favor nature trails which are much more pleasant and safer.
There are some stores that also offer a wide choice of products for traveling with your animal: cages, baskets and transport boxes, dog bike trailers, And for masters who prefer to run, the canicross also allows you to practice a sporting activity. in harmony with his dog.